Wednesday, September 21, 2005

R.U.R.

Well after over 50 hours of rehersal, memorizing lines, people quiting, drama on the set (unscripted), the show must go on.

If you have never been in a play it’s quite an interesting undertaking. In addition to memorizing your lines you have to learn your “blocking”. This is basically where you should be, and when to move on stage. You would think this would be simple but sometimes trying to figure out where five actors should be on stage without blocking someone else and trying to make things seem natural can be quite a challenge.

The acting part is a little harder than I anticipated as well. Unlike acting on film, which I obviously have tons of experience doing, you are not really going for realism. It’s more dramatic. A camera can pick up subtleties in your face and movements, but a 60 year old in the back of the theatre cannot. So, everything has to be slightly exaggerated including the way you say things. Editing generally sets the pace in a film, whereas the actors in a play dictate the pace of the show.

Of course you guys might have already known all of this but, it has been a learning experience for me. I have to say I am really excited and I’m sure I will be nervous before the show. I hope all of you that can, will attend. Not just to see me, though that should be reason enough, but to support the folks that are producing the play. This is their first production that they have headed up, so I hope it works out well for them. They have invested a lot of money and time into making it work. See you all there!

Shows are Friday, Sept. 23, through Saturday, Oct. 1, at the Sunrise Theater. All shows begin at 8 p.m. Tuesday through Saturday and Sunday matinee at 2 p.m. Info: 947-9935.

7 Comments:

At 3:48 PM, Blogger DrPsych2b said...

Good luck, bro! You'll do great...and if i'm not there in body i will be there in spirit...and of course i'll rent it when it comes out on dvd, or maybe i'll download the torrent...got the link?

 
At 5:45 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Make those 5 minutes count! Break a leg!

 
At 5:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Somebody better tape your performance! I gotta see it when I come to visit next month!

 
At 12:07 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Rock on john! i'll be there and I'll bring the loud cheers!

 
At 1:05 AM, Blogger Fitz said...

O.k. Maybe I should make a correction. I actually got bumped up to a slightly bigger part so I'm now in about ten minutes of the play instead of five. Thanks for all the support. Tonight was our first performance and suprisingly, it went great! I did something yesterday I never thought I would do. I bought make-up. And then I did the second thing I never thought I would do, I put make-up on. Then I heard a guy say something I never thought I would here, "Hey, Can I borrow your make-up?"

 
At 3:27 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh yes....only four and a half more hours until i see fitz's big theater production. it is going to be so exciting.

 
At 1:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You were wonderful, Dear!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home