Tuesday, August 09, 2005

Special Edition- Wait! Don't Read This. Later I Will Come Out With An Extended Version

So there I am flipping through a magazine and I see an advertisement for a new DVD coming out. Gladiator, 3-disc "Extended Version" with 17 minutes of new footage. Wow, that's great I think. But wait a minute, I already own gladiator and it's the "Signature Version"(apparently that makes it better than those without a signature). It has two discs and it's full of bonus features. So what happened? Did they suddenly find this 17 minutes of missing footage in Ridley Scott's storage locker?


I'm calling shenanigans. Why was it cut in the first place? If it was that good Ridley Scott would have released it in the original DVD. I can understand releasing a "Special Edition" DVD with all kinds of extra crap that only geek would buy. I own about a hundred of those, and I'm willing to pay more for them. Bring it on. BUT, when they wait after I already forked over my hard earned cash on what I thought was a cream of the crop version and then release another version... shenanigans dang it!

I recently bought Constantine on DVD. I was given a choice. A plane Jane 1-disc version for just under $20 OR the 2-Disc Deluxe Edition with Comic Book for about $6 more. I enjoyed the comic. That's how it should be done, give us our choices up front.

O.K. I'm done and I'll never buy another "Special Edition" again. Well, until they come out with the "Special Signature Extended Platinum Limited Edition" of all six Star Wars. I guess I'll have to buy that. But, that will be the last.

2 Comments:

At 11:18 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree with ya! How many feature does a movie need!
`Jimmy

 
At 1:38 PM, Blogger DrPsych2b said...

I can't believe someone would fall for the ole' "oh, we forgot that we had this REALLY good 17 minutes of extra footage--trust me, if it were any good they would have at least put it in the signature edition...and how much of that is the extended sweeping scene of the wheat field--yawn. (BTW-i am sitting here taking my comps and thought I'd post this instead--there goes my PhD).

 

Post a Comment

<< Home