Monday, July 11, 2005

Kong wants to be King

So there I was sitting in the dark waiting to see War of the Worlds, and up on the screen appears the trailer for King Kong...And it got me excited. I'm not sure why, but I think it is this; Kong is a classic story and the first Kong movie is a Hollywood classic. The black and white scenes of Kong standing on top of a building swatting at biplanes are still familiar to audiences today. Now the thought of someone taking a classic film and tinkering with it might make a movie fan tremor with fear. After all Hollywood doesn't have the best track record of remakes; for example Psycho-1998, Thunderbirds, Godzilla-1998, that must have been a bad year, and, they are working on many more this year alone(but hey, that's for another post). But knowing that Peter Jackson, the man that brought us The Lord of the Rings, arguably one of the best trilogies ever, is directing this one, well, that just turns my nervous anticipation into childlike excitement. (I have to make a side note here. One of the things that impresses me the most about Peter Jackson is that he shot all three of LOTRs at the same time. This is a monumental feet. He might be filming one scene from the third film with the "fist" crew, and then as soon as he's done he would meet with the "second" crew and film a scene from the first film. This is an incredible demonstration of his work ethic, attentions to detail, and commitment to perfection. Ok, Im done, sorry.) So I think the fact that I already know the story, I don't have to be sold on it, and that Peter Jackson is directing, and that the trailer does look exciting, all add to up make me want to see this one.
O.k. if you're not excited by now, check this out. You know when you buy the DVD there are all those behind the scenes footage, well Mr. Jackson has provided a production diary of the making of the movie at http://www.kongisking.net/index.shtml. There is already several HOURS worth of footage available.
I don't think this will be a CGI driven movie any more than LOTR was. I do think it will be an element heavily emphasized but, only to add to the overall feel of the film. Well let me know what you think, and thanks for reading!

2 Comments:

At 2:29 PM, Blogger DrPsych2b said...

I think that LOTR was a CGI driven film (in other words it would not have been possible sanz CGI)--it's just that the audience didn't know it. I think that is where the craft and art of filmaking comes in--when your special effects (however sofisticated or meager) lend themselves to the film, but are not so much in the forefront that when you think of the film you say--good special fx.

 
At 7:58 AM, Blogger Fitz said...

I see what you mean, and I would agree with you. I don't neccesarily want to argue what "CGI driven" means. I was just trying to say that hopefully when people go to see King Kong they will say it was a good movie and not just, Wow, those were good special effects. I think if you go see a movie that has special FX in it and afterwards you do not mention them, that is a good thing. Unless it is a movie like Star Wars, where I think they are meant to be shown of and as much of the story as anything else. Come to think of it though, the original 1933 version of Kong was a huge special FX movie. It was umbelivable for it's time and set quite a high bench mark for many years. So, what I am trying to say is, I think that the special FX will be a great part of this film but, like all good movies, the story will be what makes it remeberable.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home