Monday, July 04, 2005

War of the Worlds


PG-13 Tom Cruise, Dakota Fanning, Tim Robbins



To me this is a classic summer movie. This is the kind of movie that you see when you are a little kid and remember when you are older. The kind of stuff that is so big it only looks right on the movie screen. Ok So, obviously I thought this was a good movie and one definitely to be seen in the theatre. Aliens attacking earth is a classic movie genre and who better to bring us an updated version of H.G. Wells classic story than Steven Spielberg. The movie gets running within the first ten minutes and doesn't really slow down for about an hour. The suspense was very good and accompanied by just the right amount of action to keep you on the edge of your seat. But wait, there's more. Tom Cruise, Dakota Fanning, and Justin Chatwin give the audience a family that's interesting and we actually care about throughout the movie. Tom Cruise does an excellent job and even though he has the lead role he doesn't dominate the film like he tends to do in his other movies. He is merely playing is role in the story. Dakota Fanning does an awesome job and only makes you wonder what kind of movies she will star in when she gets older. Ok, back to the film. This movie had classic "alien" elements while diverging from typical story lines at the same time. Not to give too much of the movie away but the first 30 minutes of Independence Day and War of the Worlds could be considered one in the same. But the two movies take considerable different paths after that. There is also an interesting balance of levity and comic relief with dark scenes that give you a sense that all is lost. I have a feeling that the ending may disappoint a few. I won't say more until others have scene it and posted in the comments section. All in all I thought it had a good blend of action, suspense, story and special affects.




On a couple of side notes, I thought it was interesting how Steven Speilberg implemented some of the post 911 events with how people reacted after the alien invasion.

Also there were several scenes where you saw what was happening indirectly instead of straight on. In other words you are seeing what is happening through reflections from glass in a car, building or a mirror. There is also a shot through a camcorder. I thought this was interesting and noted it throughout the movie but I'm not sure if it has any significance. If anyone else noticed this or other "shot" patterns let me know.

5 Comments:

At 12:49 PM, Blogger DrPsych2b said...

Funny you should mention 911. I read/heard that Spielberg actually chose not to include the part of H.G. Wells' original that included the aliens using a black smoke cloud (chemical warfare) to kill humans. I have not, however listened to the radio broadcast for some time and I haven't read the book (was there one?).

Anyway, I hope to see it in the next week or two.
DrPsych2b

 
At 2:20 PM, Blogger DrPsych2b said...

I vaguely remember you saying you really liked these two--(I didn't know their names were Statler and Waldorf). Here they are rating War of the Worlds!

http://movies.go.com/moviesdynamic/muppets/index
DrPsych2b

 
At 8:48 PM, Blogger Fitz said...

HEY, what are you trying to do? Upstage me and send all two of my readers to another movie review site? Yea, I do like thes guys(though the versions when Jim Henson was around seemed a little funnier.) In fact they are sitting on my bookshelf next to my computer. They are always cracking on my reviews. Thanks for the link I didn't know about that site.

 
At 12:29 PM, Blogger DrPsych2b said...

I always thought of us as sharing readership...considering that all two of those people includes me...and, um you...and apparently jared, now.
BTW (by the way) how's about posting a comment on a brother's blog every once in awhile---jeez, you're making me look like I'm talking to myself.
DrPsych2b

 
At 5:56 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i thought war of the worlds was a good movie (the worse part was the lady that keep talking behind me). The ending was definately lame, i think that you fitz and maybe even drpsych could come up with a better one. another thing that bothered me was the fact that these things were so much more superior to our brain capacities, how come they couldn't come up with better vehicles. but apparently the movie was made after a book and maybe that was the reasoning behind that one. overall, good movie....i would see it again.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home