Monday, August 29, 2005

Domo Arigato, Mr. Roboto

Tonight I sat in a room surrounded by about 13 people and I yelled "I'll kill you!" and no one seemed to mind. I guess it's because about three weeks ago while on my way home from work I stopped and tried out for a play. I'm not sure why I decided to do this, I haven't been in a play since the 5th grade. I guess it's because, as anyone who knows me can attest, I like movies. And since I can't be in a movie anytime soon, I'll do the next best thing.

The play is called Rossums Universal Robots(R.U.R.) and was written in 1912. This is pretty amazing seeing how robots did not even exist at the time. Not even simple ones that would perform repetitive tasks on assembly lines. The author of the play, Karel Capek, introduced the word robot, from the Czech robota, which means tedious labor. This play even pre-dates Isaac Asimov's Runaround, which along with other stories I Robot was based upon.

Anyway the story can be viewed as a sci-fi classic of robots taking over the world or, social commentary on our reliance of automation and the dangers of Totalitarism. Whichever you prefer. The performances are the last week in September at the Sunrise theatre. So if you want to catch my stellar, awe inspiring performance you can just watch the first and last five minutes of the show(because that's all I'm in it) or you could actually sit through the whole two hours.

4 Comments:

At 1:12 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I must see this and then I'll blog about it. Bring a poster by the theater! and i'll advertise it
~Jimmy

 
At 2:18 PM, Blogger DrPsych2b said...

What a shameless plug to bolster ticket sales of which you quite obviously get a cut. Don't forget us little people when you are rich and famous. Way to go for going out on a limb and trying something new--that is one of our family's (here in AL) little mantra is trying something new. I aplaud you and will be at one of the showings if at all possible.

 
At 1:08 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

im so excited to see this. i will be there and maybe even bring you some of roses so you can hold them when you take your on stage at the end.

 
At 8:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

First and last five minutes? Super! That gives me time to grab some fish 'n chips at Squire's Pub.

Don't you worry that being on the other side will make you kinder to your fellow actors even when they stink it up in a movie?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home