Monday, August 22, 2005

March of the Penguins 4 out of 5

Rated: G

Cast: A lot of penguins, and narration by Morgan Freeman.

If you have not heard about this film it's a documentary about the emperor penguin "as they march -- single file -- to their traditional breeding ground." Of course it's about much more than that, and I guess that's why it has been received so well.

I have to say it's the best movie about penguins I've ever seen. Seriously though, I'm not telling you run out and see this one but if you have the opportunity you won't regret it. I might have missed this one myself but strong word of mouth and the fact that it played at our local Sunrise Theatre that's home to many independent films, inspired me to give it a try.

I don't think I have ever smiled so much during a movie before. I don't me laugh, but smile. And not just the "awe, isn't that cute smile" though there were those too. Just smiles that only come from things that are innocent and inspired from nature. The movie is happy, silly, funny, educational, dramatic and yes, sad too. Though I think the majority of the film is inspiring and upbeat it doesn't mask the harsh realities of nature and the death that it brings. That being said it does this in a tactful non-offensive way that is even suitable for children, and there were many in the audience. (So yes Drpsych2b, this would be "developmentally appropriate" for your kids. At least IMO)

The movie is a great story and it's amazing that someone is talented enough to create something so simple that it makes you actually interested in the life of a penguin for an hour and a half. It makes me wonder why some studios can't create a decent story using supposedly deep characters, plot twists, and special effects. It's also amazing that these guys were actually in Antarctica filming these fantastic shots in temperatures in excess of 40 degrees below(Fahrenheit).

Typically the words "documentary" and "penguins" wouldn't be used to describe a film that the general public would flock to see. Which is why I would not guarantee that everyone will like this film. Especially if you considered movies like The Dukes of Hazzard the peak of cinematic perfection. The movie is fairly simply, not a lot of action, and a bit slow in spots. But, if you like movies about life and want to see a true example of how a story is told using moving pictures be sure to check this one out.

4 Comments:

At 10:36 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice. I have been pondering going to see this for a while. I won't enjoy the "death" aspect of it, but from what Ive seen it looks really good. Not to mention the weather they put up with to film it. And I don't consider the new Dukes of Hazard, cinematic greatness, so Im sure Ill like it hehe.

 
At 1:36 PM, Blogger DrPsych2b said...

Thanks for the nod to developmental appropriateness. I thought about taking them to see this one. It's like the Discovery Channel except i have to pay $7.75. On another note, how come you never mentioned the Sunrise before? That's kind of cool. The nearest we have is Atlanta...and that ain't near.

 
At 6:39 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Penguins is something i will see now thanks to you!!
rock on John
~Jimmy

 
At 9:49 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I thought it was a really cute show. Grandma & I felt like we were there (the theatre was alittle chilled) Note to parents: If your kids can't sit through a documentary at home they probably won't at a theatre.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home