Monday, May 01, 2006

Podcasts

You have heard of pod people but have you ever listened to a podcast? If your answer is "no", then what are you waiting for. Podcasts are the best invention since the radio (strictly speaking in the audio spectrum of course). Don't know what a podcast is, then where have you been? You probably still listen to music on a CD player and record TV programs with a VCR. A podcast is basically a radio show that you can listen to at anytime on your computer or MP3 player. You don't like radio shows you say. That's because you have not found one that talks about exactly what interests you. Think about it, they have TV shows that are right up your alley. They talk about exactly what you like, whether it be the news, animal planet, courtroom TV, sports, wrestling, MOVIES! If you are interested in it, you can find a podcast that talks about it. I spend a lot of time traveling and as much as I love listening to the morning radio crew and exciting action packed NPR programs, I get a little tired of it. Well now I can download my favorite podcasts on subjects like movies, digital video, indie filmaking and listen as I go. I don't have to "tune" in at any certain time or listen to a program until I leave it's broadcasting area. I don't even have to go to the library or used books store to pic this up. I just download it at home and listen to it when I want to. I'm telling you, this is great stuff!. Here are some that I'm hooked on already.

The DV Show - This is where I get my geek fix ever week. This weekly podcast deals with everything that has to do with digital video. A very good podcast. The host, Brian, is very knowledgeable and has plenty of expert guests to back up his knowledge as well.

Cinecast - This is probably my favorite podcast right now! If you enjoy movie reviews and hearing different opinions on recent movies, this is a great podcast. The quality is great and these guys give some great insight on the movies. This is the best general review podcast I have encountered so far.

Comic Geek Speak - Ok, this is probably the geekyest one so far and I haven't listened to this one a lot. I just wanted to demonstrate that you can find a podcast on anything.

Well, that's it for now. I'll post links of cool podcast as I come upon them. As you start searching (and I know you will) let me know of any that you find that are worth mentioning.

Oh, by the way, podcastalley is a good place to start your search for things that interest you.

Warning! Podcasts are still in their infancy. So unfortunately, the guy who decides to start a podcast on say, videogames might go something like this. First he is going to be a super geek. Second, he's a video game nut. Third, he's such a nut he wants to make a podcast about videogames. But, unfortunately this doesn't necessarily make him a could host for a show about videogames. So until someone who is good at conversation, intelligent, and fun to listen to gets into podcasting, you may have to listen to someone who is lets say is a little less appealing. Until then have fun. Talk to you later.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home